October 2, 2012

Evodia:
A Weeknight Favorite

Okay, so clearly I cannot be any less up-to-date on my motherhood blog than I have been…

Fortunately this is wonderful news. For years I have been talking about creating a blog geared toward wine lovers who want to enjoy great wines while staying on a budget.

And I do understand budget.

Before the birth of our daughter, my husband and I thought nothing of going into our favorite wine store* and spending a couple hundred dollars. [And that was just one wine store! Let's not forget Costco, Silver Lake Wine, etc.] Suffice it to say, things have changed. Today I am a stay-at-home mom of a precious two year old (and I love it!) living in Los Angeles where 40%+ of my husband's income goes to taxes.

As a result, today marks the birth of "Wines for the Economy."

People who know me know I have an appreciation and love for good wine. Basically if I have met you at least two times and you are morally sound and not an alcoholic, you have been invited over for a glass.

So to start I will introduce the beautiful Garnacha I am enjoying now: 2011 Altovinum Evodia

I am a huge fan of Grenache wines. I find their smooth, rich, pleasantly light flavor more than satisfying. This wine is the perfect bottle to open when friends unexpectedly stop by. Trust me, they will love it. A fantastic value under $10: $8.00 at Costco/$9.99 at Whole Foods. Buy it today.

Nothing says "yum" like an empty glass of wine.

Avg. Cost: $8.99
 
 
2011 Altovinum Evodia Old Vine Garnacha Calatayud
89 Points | Robert Parker's The Wine Advocate
90 Points | International Wine Cellar , September/October 2012
Tasting notes: Aromas of blackberry, boysenberry, smoky minerals and white pepper, with a suggestion of candied rose. Supple on entry, then firmer in the mid-palate, with vibrant flavors of black and blue fruits and floral pastilles. Finishes with powerful blue fruit and spice notes and very good length.
 
*Topline Wine in Glendale, Ca. of course.